Our international partners include non-government organisations, government agencies, educational institutions, social enterprises and; private sector, humanitarian and other civil society organisations.
How international partners are involved
We believe that mutually respectful partnerships can bring about new approaches to locally-led change.
We support partner organisations in the Indo-Pacific region to achieve their development goals by matching them with Australian volunteers who are committed to sharing their skills and knowledge.
Australian volunteers contribute unique experiences, networks and ideas to their partner organisations and the communities in which they live and work.
In return, volunteers learn from their partner colleagues, gain unique professional experiences, develop professional networks and gain deep cultural understanding.
Program partners: engaged and involved at every step
The selection of partner organisations is based on our guiding principles and includes a range of factors, including how the organisation’s objectives align with its country’s development priorities, the Australian Government’s aid program, the Sustainable Development Goals and our Global Program Strategy.
Partner organisations contribute to successful volunteer assignments in many ways, including:
- Engaging with our in-country teams to develop assignments and participating in the recruitment process
- Inducting and orienting the volunteer to the organisation and local community
- Allocating a colleague to work with the volunteer for the duration of their assignment
- Providing a suitable workspace for the volunteer
- Assisting with finding suitable accommodation for the volunteer
- Providing equipment that is required for the volunteer to complete their assignment effectively
- Having a child protection policy that is aligned to Australian Volunteers Program standards (guidance on child protection policies is provided where required).
The Australian Volunteers Program also fosters partnerships between in-country partners and Australian organisations, and supports networking with other partners and volunteers.
Download the partnerships brochure to learn more about partnering with the Australian Volunteers Program.
If you’re interested in becoming a partner organisation and hosting a volunteer, contact the program office in your country.