Volunteering in eSwatini
eSwatini (formerly Swaziland) is a land-locked kingdom wedged between South Africa and Mozambique.
A spectacular safari destination, rich in traditional local culture, eSwatini offers a unique experience in which to make a meaningful difference.
eSwatini grapples with a range of development challenges, including such as poverty, education, and health, particularly HIV and AIDS. eSwatini’s average life expectancy is the lowest in the world, according to the UN DESA.
The Australian Volunteers Program is guided by the Australian Government’s Aid Investment Plan for eSwatini and volunteer assignments focus on a range of development issues, including:
- gender equality and women’s empowerment
- violence against women and girls
- education (including science)
- good governance
- working with people with disabilities
- human rights (including for LGBTQI+)
- environmental management
- strengthening institutions that promote stability, democracy and the rule of law
An Australian volunteer is helping break down stereotypes in eSwatini by introducing the country to wheelchair basketball.
Find out more